Building the banks

H.B. Jarnagin, Sr., came to Dandridge in 1919 to work as head cashier at the Jefferson County Bank. He guided it through the Great Depression and owned a controlling interest by 1949. – SUBMITTED

Much of Dandridge was still new when the six men gathered in the Spring of 1854 to draw up papers for the town’s first bank.

The new Jefferson County Courthouse, across the street from their new endeavor, which they called the Bank of Dandridge, had barely been finished nine years. Its sixteen-light windows were raised to let in the spring breeze.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.