Magnavox: Company had a massive impact

A 44-year employee of the Jefferson City manufacturing plant, Ed Cook transitioned from the assembly line to Human Resources. The 243rd employee hired when Magnavox opened the facility in 1956, Cook is considered by many colleagues to be the keeper of institutional memory for the local operation. – MARK BROWN | THE STANDARD BANNER

There are thousands upon thousands of stories rooted in the colossal manufacturing facility on the southeast corner of Old Andrew Johnson Highway’s intersection with Odyssey and Black Oak roads. They are worth capturing and keeping as many of those who worked there are most likely in their 70s or older.

Long before it became American Book Company’s distribution center, the 932,000 square foot complex was an important cog in the global Magnavox Corporation’s economic wheel. The facility, fully 10 times larger than Carson-Newman University’s Maddox Student Activities Center complex, held what was once Jefferson County’s largest employer.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.